[Tutor] hacking 101

Paul Sidorsky paulsid@shaw.ca
Sun, 31 Mar 2002 15:14:03 -0700

Remco Gerlich wrote:

> At every place where you get user input, *in any form*, try to think of the
> weirdest form it could take, the syntax you don't expect. Question your
> assumptions - if it's user input, they're not held to your assumptions.

Better yet, have somebody else do the questioning.  I never had the
cracker mentality but I knew a guy who did and the holes he found in my
software were rather remarkable to me.  I just never would have thought
to do the things he did.  Most of the time they weren't even
unconscionable or devious things, they were just fairly routine things
that ordinary programmers wouldn't think anybody would do.

Paul Sidorsky                                          Calgary, Canada
paulsid@shaw.ca                        http://members.shaw.ca/paulsid/