[Tutor] command line

alan.gauld@bt.com alan.gauld@bt.com
Sun, 31 Mar 2002 23:46:00 +0100

> Do you know of any non-windows IDEs that have these features?

Depending on the language there are lot of them in Unix
but they tend to cost megeabucks. (HP SoftBench,
Sun WorkBench, ObjectCenter, Sniff++ etc etc)

There are some new ones coming along for Linux etc
too Kdevelop, Blackadder, and some others(Activestates tool?)

> New converts to *nix often ask (in deb-user at least) where the IDEs
> usual answer is "unix _is_ an IDE --

And that is the correct answer. Most of our windows programmers
do their development on Unix and then move the code to Windows
(VC++ or JBuilder) for final build & test. but the tools on
Unix surpass any of the Windows tools commercial or otherwise.
(trace, gdb, tcov, [g]prof, ctags, xref, gplot, cflow, etc etc)

> | In my experience, pro programmers appreciate time-saving
> | and productivity-enhancing features,

Not in my experience, most long term pros stick by the tools
they know really well, editor and debugger mainly and just
carve out the code. They know the language etc so well they
hardly ever use the "toys". There's nothing so productive
as just typing the code in and it works first time! Many
experienced pros reach that level of quality after 10 years
or so...

> | >The important lesson to walk away with is this: if you are not
> | >using an interactive python interpreter while coding and
> | >experimenting you are missing out on one of the key benefits
> | >python offers.

This is true and is where Python development differs from
traditional style coding.

Alan G