[Tutor] HP preinstalled Python!

Josh Gregorio jgregorio@ultrasw.com
Wed, 1 May 2002 09:03:23 -0700

I'm a computer tech, and I've worked on three new HP's in the last few
weeks. All three had python 1.5 preinstalled. No links to the program on the
start menu, and python wasn't in the path, but it was there, and listed in
add/remove programs on two of them.

----- Original Message -----
From: Lance E Sloan <lsloan@umich.edu>
To: <tutor@python.org>
Sent: Sunday, April 28, 2002 12:31 PM
Subject: [Tutor] HP preinstalled Python!

> This weekend, my wife and I finally gave in and bought a Windows computer.
Well, we've had one before, but we mostly used Macs and I use UNIX a lot.
This is our first purchase of a brand-new, semi-beefy Windows computer.  My
wife wanted it to run certain programs that were only available for Windows
and I figured it's best to "know thy enemy".  So we bought an HP Pavilion
531w.  It's not the most powerful machine, but good enough.

> So, as I was installing various apps, I discovered that in the "Program
Files" directory, there is a Python directory.  And there was also a TCL
directory.  Both of them apparently have working versions of those
languages.  I've not found anything in the documentation about them yet, but
I figure that among the other third-party programs HP installed, there must
be one that uses Python, probably with Tkinter.