[Tutor] arrays and strings

Lloyd Kvam pythontutor@venix.com
Wed, 08 May 2002 10:12:11 -0400

You don't really need #define with Python.  C needs #define to avoid
unnecessary type restrictions.

In C
#define MAX_DAYS 31
provides a number that will work for most contexts while
int MAX_DAYS=31;
will only work in integer contexts.

Since Python's type processing is dynamic and supports type checking,
you can simply state:
MAX_DAYS = 31
and use MAX_DAYS whereever necessary.  Effectively, it is a global, variable
and you want to avoid changing it.  In practise you use it as a constant that
is defined in one place.