[Tutor] Brainbench Python 1.5 Certification

Rob Andrews rob@uselesspython.com
Fri, 10 May 2002 21:55:49 -0500

Tests like the one under discussion can be valuable and/or interesting
in a number of ways. Personally, I think the primary value of such a
test is not its use as an assessment tool, but as material to engage the
student to further thought on the subject.

I actually hope to put together one or more tests that people can take
through the Useless Python website, although the plan isn't to charge
$$$ and provide credentials in return. The idea is still a mostly in
pre-development and somewhat vague, really. But I think that having a
few quizzes to test knowledge of basic facts may prove a valuable
addition to the site. And at a planned cost of $0.00, I don't expect
anyone to feel abused. 3;->

Brainbench now charges about $50(USD) for the Python 1.5 certification,
and so I wouldn't likely have taken the test myself if I didn't have a
subscription that allows me to take as many of their tests as I please.
I can, however, say that I found the test to be a very successful way to
clarify quite a few gaps and cracks in my Python knowledge.

I find the test author's remarks regarding the test to be quite
interesting. But I also note that of course he knows about the test's
flaws and how he would want it to be better. It's still good, whether or
not it's worth $50.00.

A good exercise for someone learning the language, IMO, is to try to
collect your own list of questions that you think would be good test
questions. (In fact, that just might make a good Useless Python
Challenge. A whole section could be set aside just to display people's
lists of questions and/or proposed answers.)

Rob