[Tutor] Newbie Question: Define Funcations

MBussell@aol.com MBussell@aol.com
Fri, 17 May 2002 21:45:51 EDT

--part1_23.1e5a1bc6.2a170c4f_boundary

Dear Tutor:

I am attempting to learn my first language, and am having some trouble with
defining functions.  I understand the theory - but the application does not
seem to perform like the two text's I have downloaded.

>From my understanding, the parameter is the name used inside a function to
refer to the value passed as an argument.  Example:

       def printtwice(bruce):
             print bruce, bruce

       printtwice(spam)
Theoretical output:
       spam spam

Actual output:
       Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "<pyshell#3>", line 1, in ?
    printtwice(spam)
NameError: name 'spam' is not defined

Do I have to define the argument before I use it in a function (thought one
of the benefits of a function was to assign an argument to the value)?

Thanks,
Andy

--part1_23.1e5a1bc6.2a170c4f_boundary

<HTML><FONT FACE=arial,helvetica><FONT  SIZE=2>Dear Tutor:
<BR>
<BR>I am attempting to learn my first language, and am having some trouble with defining functions. &nbsp;I understand the theory - but the application does not seem to perform like the two text's I have downloaded.
<BR>
<BR>From my understanding, the parameter is the name used inside a function to refer to the value passed as an argument. &nbsp;Example:
<BR>
<BR> &nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;def printtwice(bruce):
<BR> &nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;print bruce, bruce
<BR>
<BR> &nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;printtwice(spam) &nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;
<BR>Theoretical output:
<BR> &nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;spam spam
<BR>
<BR>Actual output:
<BR> &nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;Traceback (most recent call last):
<BR> &nbsp;File "&lt;pyshell#3&gt;", line 1, in ?
<BR> &nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;printtwice(spam)
<BR>NameError: name 'spam' is not defined
<BR>
<BR>Do I have to define the argument before I use it in a function (thought one of the benefits of a function was to assign an argument to the value)?
<BR>
<BR>Thanks,
<BR>Andy</FONT></HTML>

--part1_23.1e5a1bc6.2a170c4f_boundary--