[Tutor] Quick question: Is it more efficient to...

alex gigh cogs2002@hotmail.com
Tue, 21 May 2002 11:13:06 +0000

Hi;

In my mail server, I'm doing some sort of spam detection where I have a kill
file which is a list of regular expressions and I have to check that the
mail doesn't cotain any of these words...

Is it more efficient to (A) check the lines one by one as I receive them or
(B) save the whole mail in a file and then check the whole mail with the
kill file... I have been told that if I use "pickle" I can do some very
efficient searching...

Which one would be better and why?

Also... which number (i.e. 500) do I send back if:

(1) The user is unknown or domain name isn't accepted
(2) The mail isn't delivered because contains "unaccepted" word

Thanks for your help...

Poor CS student trying to finish a mail server before this Thursday!!!