[Tutor] functions and errors

dman dman@dman.ddts.net
Wed, 22 May 2002 11:19:26 -0500

--envbJBWh7q8WU6mo

On Wed, May 22, 2002 at 03:33:21PM +0000, Terje Johan Abrahamsen wrote:
| I am trying to write a program that does several different tasks in Excel=
.=20
| However, before I get there, I have to understand the basics. This is wha=
t=20
| I have written so far.
|=20
| class accountcurrents:
=2E..
|    def finnxlpolicy():
                     ^^
|        print"world"

| Traceback (most recent call last):
|  File "<interactive input>", line 1, in ?
| TypeError: unbound method finnxlpolicy() must be called with=20
| accountcurrents instance as first argument (got nothing instead)

Did you try to do
    accountcurrents.finnxlpolicy()
?  You can't do that because the method is not really a part of the
*class*, but rather a part of *instances of the class*.

| If I write n =3D accountcurrents(), n.finnxlpolicy() I get the following=
=20
| error:

That's the right way to use the class.

| Traceback (most recent call last):
|  File "<interactive input>", line 1, in ?
| TypeError: finnxlpolicy() takes no arguments (1 given)
|=20
| What do I do wrong? Thanks in advance....

You forgot to include the instance in the parameter list of the
method.  The corrected class is :

class accountcurrents:
#...
   def finnxlpolicy( self ):