[Tutor] Dynamic creation of class instances...

Erik Price erikprice@mac.com
Wed, 22 May 2002 23:09:01 -0400

On Wednesday, May 22, 2002, at 10:58  AM, Israel Evans wrote:

> "How can I use an unknown object later on if I don't know it's name?
> Everything needs a name right?  How can I even make the darn thing
> without a
> unique name?"

Don't forget that a single object can go by many names throughout its
life in a program.  The name is nothing more than a reference to the
object itself, which provides you with a convenient "handle" that you
can use to attach it to your scripts or to other objects.  But the
object really doesn't have a proper, unique "name" (at least as far as
you are concerned, perhaps to the interpreter there is something else
going on entirely).

Just make sure that you always have a "handle" on your object instance,
in other words, a reference to it.  Otherwise it will slip from your
grasp like a helium balloon, eaten by the garbage collector.

Erik