[Tutor] Structure Theorem and OOProgramming

Roman Suzi rnd@onego.ru
Mon, 27 May 2002 14:38:13 +0400 (MSD)

On Mon, 27 May 2002, Sean 'Shaleh' Perry wrote:

> On 27-May-2002 Kojo Idrissa wrote:
> > Ok, here's question about approaches to programming.
> >
> > I've read a bit about the Structured Programming Language Paradigm/
> > Structure Theorem (Any computer program can be built up by combing three
> > fundamental constructs [Sequence/Selection/Repetition] in various
> > ways).  It seems like a good way to introduce a couple of friends who are
> > new to programming to the idea of how to program.
> >

> well that simplification is true.  Even with objects you have to keep
> track of them, choose one to deal with, etc.

Structured programming (SP) and OOP aren't competitors. OOP is based on
SP. However, subroutines (functions) are usually added to those three
fundamental structures and that is one step closer to OOP.

In fact, basic algorithmic structures can emulate object orientation.
As assembler language with GOTO can emulate structured programming.

This means, it is absolutely necessary to know SP to be able to do
OOP properly.

Sincerely yours, Roman A.Suzi
 - Petrozavodsk - Karelia - Russia - mailto:rnd@onego.ru -