[Tutor] Why NOT to Use Python?

Rob Andrews rob@uselesspython.com
Thu, 30 May 2002 14:51:20 -0500

<snip />
 > | Java Server Pages (JSP) are a good argument for Java in the
enterprise.

 > Mixing presentation and logic is just asking for a maintenance
 > nightmare later on.

<snip />
Well, I definitely agree with you there. However, this mixing can be
handled in a sane manner in competent JSP development. At least in
theory. And although there is adequate reason to take issue with the
blending of presentation and logic at all, this is a viable technology
actually in enterprise use at this time.

<snip />

> | Java can also present certain performance/speed advantages under many
> | realistic circumstances.
>
> Can you give any examples?  I've found python to usually be faster and
> certainly more conservative in memory usage (unless you write
> pathological code).

<snip />

Although I haven't really put this to the test, I'm told by an
enterprise Java programmer I know that he takes full advantage of
certain ways to get closer to the hardware in Java (not to the extent
possible with C/C++, of course).

When it all comes out in the wash, I think everybody knows I'm in the
Python camp. heh

Rob
http://uselesspython.com