[Tutor] Why NOT to Use Python?

alan.gauld@bt.com alan.gauld@bt.com
Fri, 31 May 2002 23:45:39 +0100

> In fact, Java seems to have a rather healthy set of enterprise tools
> that a team of team of developers can use in consistent and
> predictable ways.

This is a good argument.
Also the fact that commercial support exists for Java,
C# and .NET from companies the bean counters have heard
of is a big factor for enterprise size companies.

> Java can also present certain performance/speed advantages under many
> realistic circumstances.

I've seen this claimed lots of times, I've yet to find an
example in any of the trials I've done.

> Jython also presents the option of creating
> 100% pure Java .class files, which addresses performance

Errr, no it doesn't. Jython will always be slower than
CPython or pure Java simply because it works by using
the Java interpreter within the JVM, You get two layers
of interpretation.

Translating Python bytecodes into java bytecodes gets
you portability (to any JVM box) but it doesn't get
you performance.

> These aren't the only good reasons to do so, of course. Jython, after
> all, makes available the libraries of both Java AND Python! This is
> nothing to be sniffed at.

Integration with Java is a good argument for Jython where a
body of Java investment already exists. Green field sites
may not get much benefit.

Alan g.
Author of the 'Learning to Program' web site