[Tutor] Problems with for loops and information

Chris Davidson cxd401@psu.edu
Sun Nov 3 13:29:02 2002

Hello Tutor List,

	This is my first post, so if you see anything that I am not doing
proper in this post, don't be afraid to yell at me.

	My question is on the basis of searching through a list of files and/or
directories from os.listdir()

The code I have right now is

import os

listDirectory = "/home/chris"

for element in listDirectory:
	if os.path.isdir(element):
		print "Directory: %s " % element
	elif os.path.isfile(element):
		print "File: %s " % element

That code will not get into the if/elif statement, my question is: Is
this because i am going to through it with a for loop and it changes the
data type to string and can't find out if it is a directory? or probably
what I am thinking it is. I am missing an important part to make this
work.

This is not the final code, i am just trying to get the for loop to work
so what I really want to do with the data will work.

Thank you for your time everyone and thanks in advance for any help,

Chris