[tutor] Do I need to have a strong math skills to program

Lance lbrannma@cablespeed.com
Sun Nov 3 17:27:02 2002

Strong math skills and strong writing skills enhance programming efficiency.
Both require clear structured thinking.

----- Original Message -----
From: "Magnus Lycka" <magnus@thinkware.se>
To: "fuad_for_python" <fuad4python@yahoo.com>
Cc: <tutor@python.org>
Sent: Sunday, November 03, 2002 1:55 PM
Subject: Re: [tutor] Do I need to have a strong math skills to program

At 18:36 2002-11-03 +0000, fuad_for_python wrote:
>>in any programming language u have not to have lot of math skills. the
>>things u need are algoritm and data structures. the combination between
>>algoritm and data structures will help u to program any programming
>>language. the math subjects u have to mastering are like basics
>>operational mathematics such as additional, substraction, multiplication,
>>etc and also logical mathematics. anyway math skills will help many
>>things in programming, so if you have many times why not to learn
>>mathematics deeper ?

Please read this other good text by Eric Raymond:

A quote:

Write in clear, grammatical, correctly-spelled language

We've found by experience that people who are careless
and sloppy writers are usually also careless and sloppy
at thinking and coding (often enough to bet on, anyway).
Answering questions for careless and sloppy thinkers is
not rewarding; we'd rather spend our time elsewhere.

So expressing your question clearly and well is important.
If you can't be bothered to do that, we can't be bothered
to pay attention. Spend the extra effort to polish your
language. It doesn't have to be stiff or formal - in fact,
hacker culture values informal, slangy and humorous language
used with precision. But it has to be precise; there has to
  be some indication that you're thinking and paying attention.

Spell, punctuate, and capitalize correctly. Don't confuse
"its" with "it's", "loose" with "lose", or "discrete" with
"discreet". Don't TYPE IN ALL CAPS, this is read as shouting
and considered rude. (All-smalls is only slightly less annoying,
  as it's difficult to read. Alan Cox can get away with it, but
you can't.)

More generally, if you write like a semi-literate boob you will
very likely be ignored. Writing like a l33t script kiddie hax0r
is the absolute kiss of death and guarantees you will receive
nothing but stony silence (or, at best, a heaping helping of
scorn and sarcasm) in return.

If you are asking questions in a forum that does not use your
native language, you will get a limited amount of slack for
spelling and grammar errors - but no extra slack at all for
laziness (and yes, we can usually spot that difference). Also,
unless you know what your respondent's languages are, write in
English. Busy hackers tend to simply flush questions in languages
they don't understand, and English is the working language of the
Internet. By writing in English you minimize your chances that
your question will be discarded unread.

--
Magnus Lycka, Thinkware AB
Alvans vag 99, SE-907 50 UMEA, SWEDEN