[Tutor] python for IBM A/S400 & Sun

Magnus Lycka magnus@thinkware.se
Wed Nov 6 16:15:02 2002

At 17:37 2002-11-06 +0000, alan.gauld@bt.com wrote:
> > Is there any python version that can be installed in IBM A/S 400 or
> > Sun's mainframe product?
>
>Suns 'mainframe' s still running Solaris so yes, the normal Solaris
>build should work fine. Whether your operations team(assuming you
>have such) will allow it to be installed is another matter!

In other words...should the strategy be to ask for
permission or to apologize sincerely afterwards if
someone complains... The strategy here depends on
several issues of course, such as how successful the
python program will be, how critical the system is,
the culture in the working place and your status at
work...

I installed Python as a local user in a Starfire box
(it's more like a closet really) in a state authority
where I worked as a consultant. I discussed it with
my closest boss of course, and it was not a production
machine, but a few months later there was a message
from management that it wasn't allowed to download
free software without an authorized purchase order! :)

Then I was happy that Python was already available both
on the Solaris box and on my Windows PC...

--
Magnus Lycka, Thinkware AB
Alvans vag 99, SE-907 50 UMEA, SWEDEN