[Tutor] Question on Python and OFX (Open Financial Exchange)

Chermside, Michael mchermside@ingdirect.com
Fri Nov 8 12:53:01 2002

> [OFX is] SGML as far as I understand. Parsing SGML is not
> for the faint hearted. That's basically why XML was
> invented.

Actually, OFX 1.0 was SGML, but the recent versions of OFX
are in XML.

The format itself is really QUITE easy to parse and generate
(I've written it myself, though not in Python). However,
most of the difficulty in working with OFX is handling the
particular form of error processing and such that they
expect.

Magnus's suggestion of wrapping an existing library is
probably a good one, but if that fails and you decide to=20
write it yourself in Python it shouldn't be too hard. Feel
free to contact me with any questions.

-- Michael Chermside
   mcherm@mcherm.com