[tutor] Do I need to have a strong math skills to program

Magnus Lycka magnus@thinkware.se
Fri Nov 8 20:56:02 2002

At 00:43 2002-11-08 -0800, Danny Yoo wrote:
>I just wanted to jump back into this question because it's such a fun one
>to revisit.  *grin* There are some advantages for knowing math: with some
>math knowledge, we can make analogies between computer techniques and math
>techniques.

Of course, this is generally appliable. I feel that studies in
physical or engineering fields give you a good understanding of
nature, or reality or whatever. Just like the Design Pattern guys
find the same design patterns occurring over and over again, we
see just the same things in a much broader perspective.

My studies and experience in electrical measurements and trouble
shooting have taught me a lot that has been useful in helping my
wife with her medical research, and in all sorts of software
problem solving.

There are a lot of these "laws of nature" that we discover even
if we don't name them or realize their general nature at once.
They become a part of our conciousness, and years later, our
intuition will tell us how to solve a problem.

I think mathematics is extra useful, because we typically solve
"distilled", "pure" problems, where most of the "noise" that
surrounds ordinary problems and leads us astray are removed.

It's a bit like raising children teaches you a lot about human
nature. One might say that one of the main differences between
children and adults are that children are more transparent.
They don't hde their true feelings as we often do.

--
Magnus Lycka, Thinkware AB
Alvans vag 99, SE-907 50 UMEA, SWEDEN