[Tutor] getting started

john gennard joney@clara.co.uk
Thu Nov 14 13:43:12 2002

After reading a lot and getting an overview of Python, I now intend
to work through a number of tutorials. I have never yet used any
programming language, and embarrassingly can't get passed the third
page. How do I get from a first line to a second one? (If I used a
text editor, I would have no problem, but at this stage I don't want
to start creating numerous files - just want to get used to what
various commands ouput).

I run Debian 3.0 and have installed Python 2.1.3 and GCC 2.95.4

Python launches from the command line and I can insert one line
commands only. The position is the same if I launch IDLE.
I want to do the following:-

>>>print "xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx"
      print "yyyyyyyyyyyy"
      print "zzzzzzzzzzzzzz"

How to get from ........x"    to    commence print  "yyyyy..........
'Enter' key of course executes the command. I've re-read everything
I have and can find no answer, and have tried also many keystrokes
without result.

Anyone put me out of my misery please?

Thanks,		John.