[Tutor] count words

Danny Yoo dyoo@hkn.eecs.berkeley.edu
Thu Nov 14 15:08:09 2002

> > I'd like to count the number of times a letter occurs in a string.
> > I've been looking at c. It seems that this type of problem is being
> > assigned in cs classes on graduate and advanced undergraduate classes
> > in the US.

You're grossly overestimating the problem, or greatly underestimating the
CS students in US colleges.

Frequency counting is an introductory programming problem that shows how
useful loops and containers are.  It's something that's easily done with
paper and pencil, and is even easier with the use of computers.

What part are you having trouble with?  If we know more about your own
programming experience, we may be able to prod you in some direction.
But we will not give direct help on this one; this is definitely in the
domain of a "homework" assignment.

Good luck to you.