[Tutor] why doesn't procbox run?

john gennard joney@clara.co.uk
Mon Nov 18 12:19:02 2002

I'm not sure if this question is OT or not, but I'll give it a try.

For a long time, I have run Debian Potato (it's still installed).
I've now installed Debian Woody as well.

I filter my email on Potato with a small program called procbox
which doesn't seem to be supported now, so I copied it over from
Potato to Woody.

Procbox is written in Python, but does not run on Woody.
The error message says 'bash: /usr/local/bin/procbox.py:
/usr/bin/python: bad interpreter: Permission denied'

All permissions have been checked against Potato as has the
integrity of the program, PATHS and so forth. There are no anomalies.
The only difference between the system on which it runs and that on
which it does not appears to be that Potato has Python 1.5.2 and GCC
2.95.2 whilst Woody has Python 2.1.3 and GCC 2.95.4 (there is a link
/usr/bin/python to /usr/bin/python2.1).

Is there any difference between Python1.5 and Python2.1 which could
cause this problem?  Coincidentally, I run a number of programs
written in Python which got me interested and I have just started to
learn it ( posted a starter problem a few days ago, got answered and
am now on page 8! ).

If this is not considered OT, has anyone any advice please?

Regards,		John.