[Tutor] getting started

Magnus Lycka magnus@thinkware.se
Mon Nov 18 17:17:01 2002

At 21:30 2002-11-18 +0100, Gregor Lingl wrote:
>Magnus Lycka schrieb:
>>You're welcome. It's Lyck=E5, actually, but I bet you'd
>>never guess how to pronounce that anyway! ;)
>An you, would you be so kind to reveal it to us?

Actually, an Austrian will probably be much closer than
someone with English as native language...

This is a bit OT, but ok. I really think I'd need to
upload a wav to my web site though. :)

The L isn't so difficult I guess. It's not the kind
of thick L we associate with typical Americans etc.
More like it's pronounced in German etc. The toungue
stys flat in your mouth as you say it.

A Swedish Y is very different from an English one. It's
on the scale between U and I. Does is make sense if I
talk of a scale from U to =DC to Y to I? I don't think the
sound exists in English, and it's distictly different
from the german =DC, but it's closer to =DC than to I. (I'm
not sure people can imagine what a sound in between =FC and
i is like before they hear it.

The "ck" is just a normal, hard k-sound with an indication
that the preceeding vowel "y" is short. As in clock or
trick.

The a with a ring over it, =E5, is pronounced as o in more.
It also happens to be long as in more in this case.

>If not, at least 'Magnus' gives us a hint to whom we are talking.

Actually, that's not pronounced the way most of you
think either! :)

--=20
Magnus Lyck=E5, Thinkware AB
=C4lvans v=E4g 99, SE-907 50 UME=C5