[Tutor] my newbie program

alan.gauld@bt.com alan.gauld@bt.com
Tue Nov 19 13:52:02 2002

> dig(north) would create a new exit to a new room
> with an exit back to the room you dug from.

Something like:

class Rooom:
   # as before...
   directions = ['north','east',west,'south']
   def dig(self, direction):
       self.exits[direction] = Room("My new room")
       dirindex = directions.index(direction)
       newdir = directions[-dirindex+1] # get inverse direction
       self.exits[direction].exits[newdir] = self

Note I've changed exits from a list to a dictionary keyed by direction.
I add the new room as the new exit of the current room.
I find the index of the direction in the list
I take the inverse by using the negative index - try it out by hand...
I add the exising room as an exit to the new one...

All untested of course but might form a basis???

Alan g.