was: [Tutor] getting started

john gennard joney@clara.co.uk
Tue Nov 19 16:04:48 2002

On Monday 18 November 2002 20:03, Magnus Lycka wrote:
> At 15:15 2002-11-15 +0000, john gennard wrote:
> >Many thanks to Magnus Lucka and Kirk Bailey who responded to my
> >request for assistance. They have already 'put me right' and I'm
> > now ready to proceed.
>
> You're welcome. It's Lyckå, actually, but I bet you'd
> never guess how to pronounce that anyway! ;)

Surprisingly, I would!  I'm well into my seventies and many years
ago (more than I want to remember), it was necessary that I obtained
a working knowledge of both Swedish and Finnish. Little now remains
to me.

I remember finding Swedish quite easy to learn but a bit of a b....
to pronounce (especially late in the evening - your drink laws
being a lot different in those days). Finnish was a different kettle
of fish - not helped as native speakers were few and far between
were I was ( I believe they are not very numerous even now ).

You assume English is my mother tongue - I wonder then why you
assume I would have a Swedish keyboard 'just handy'. I have a GB one
and you come across as 'Lyck=E5', now that I can't pronounce.

I'm going to enjoy this list! The banter is refreshing and the
answers to questions go straight to the point. Many thanks for your
help with my initial problem.