point-of-sale in python / Re: [Tutor] Re: Python in education

Magnus Lycka magnus@thinkware.se
Thu Nov 21 07:36:37 2002

At 04:02 2002-11-21 -0800, MIG wrote:
>I'm currently working on a point-of-sale for a small store I'm planning
>to open, so I'd like to contact your friend if he/she finally picked up
>python for it to share some feedback and ideas. (Or anybody in this
>mailing list who has worked in a project like this).
>
>I'm using Python with PMW and MySQL for data management. Besides the
>POS, I worked out a small and simple accounting program and an
>inventory control system. All of these prgs are or will be linked. The
>program is not the best program in the world (I'm not a professional on
>IT, in fact my background is on business),

Good. I'm sure you have knowledge that most programmers lack.

>but I managed to keep it as
>simple as possible.

That's always a good thing.

>Up to now, the code is half way to be completed
>(let's say 80% completed but full of things to improve). Perhaps when
>=CD'll finish it, I'll put it somewhere on the web for free download.

Don't wait. Put it up now! Then you might even get some help
getting it done! (There are obviously others on this very list
who might be interested. Perhaps they will do most of the remaining
job?)

Why not make it into a SourceForge proect? I feel that business
administration software is an area where python should be used
much more. Maybe there is a lot of programs like that written,
but not made available, I don't know. But I'm sure there are many
in your position who develop software not to sell it, but to use
it, who would have a lot to gain from sharing source code and
knowledge.

I've never worked with any POS system, but I have some ideas about
other kinds of business administration software that I'd like to
write when I get the time (he he), and I have a few routines that
I use. One idea is to make some kind of Meta-project for business
administration software at Sourceforge, and to make things like my
Swedish income tax calculations and your POS, inventory etc into
sub-projects.

--=20
Magnus Lycka, Thinkware AB
Alvans vag 99, SE-907 50 UMEA, SWEDEN