[Tutor] Walking up

Magnus Lycka magnus@thinkware.se
Wed Nov 27 17:04:10 2002

At 12:04 2002-11-27 -0800, Jeff Shannon wrote:
>*ahem*  Good points, and the more that I think about it, the more that I
>realize
>that you're correct about the most common usage.  I had a few other things
>on my
>mind, too, while I was writing that.  Nevermind me.  :)

:) But obviously the word inheritance leads us to
parents and children, and googling for "parent child
inheritance" I got quite a number of hits. Apple
uses parent / child in describing inheritance in
AppleScript for instance (whatever that is).

>TBH, I usually *do* avoid using the parent/child terminology, except
>(sometimes) in
>describing windows in a GUI.

Which probably mean you use it the way I've seen it. :)

>   I agree that, while analogies can be very useful (and
>even essential), they can also be misleading, and the parent/child analogy
>has lots
>of potential to be confusing.

I remember my Unix classes at Uni. What did the lecturer say?
"When you kill the parent it will wait for all its children
to die." Or did the parent kill all its children? When do they
turn into zombies?

I'm pretty sure the kind of people who think Heavy Metal and
Fantasy Role Playing is evil and causes suicides would fear
Unix. (Not to mention FreeBSD or Inferno).

--
Magnus Lycka, Thinkware AB
Alvans vag 99, SE-907 50 UMEA, SWEDEN