[Tutor] Does python has a default database system or not?

Danny Yoo dyoo@hkn.eecs.berkeley.edu
Tue, 1 Oct 2002 21:59:43 -0700 (PDT)

On Wed, 25 Sep 2002, TIAGO DUARTE FELIX wrote:

> If yes which module is it?

Hi Tiago,

Can you explain a little more what you're looking for in a database
system?  Are you looking for a full ACID-compliant database, or something
simpler?  There are modules in the standard library that can handle the
DBM format:

    http://www.python.org/doc/lib/module-anydbm.html

and these should come standard with Python.

However, I'm not sure if this is what you're expecting as a database, as a
DBM is more of a persistent dictionary than a real database.  I don't
think other database modules come in by default, but they are third-party
modules that are widely available and fairly easy to install.

There is an object database for Python called ZODB:

    http://www.amk.ca/zodb/zodb-zeo.html

which is pretty sophisticated.  There's also a simple SQL-like database
called Gadfly:

    http://gadfly.sourceforge.net/gadfly.html

Bindings to several SQL databases can be found on the Python.org's
Database Topics page:

    http://python.org/topics/database/

If you tell us more about what you're planning to do for your application,
we can try to point you toward better resources.

Good luck!