[Tutor] linux book [on GUI's / anygui?]

Danny Yoo dyoo@hkn.eecs.berkeley.edu
Wed, 2 Oct 2002 13:40:39 -0700 (PDT)

On Wed, 2 Oct 2002, Rob McGee wrote:

> On Wed, Oct 02, 2002 at 01:51:58PM -0500, Cameron Stoner wrote:
> > What would be a good Linux Book on the GUI?
>
> Are you speaking of Python? If so, I don't know.
>
> If not, I *still* don't know. :) There are *many* GUI's, not just one.
> Your best bet is to ask users of your distro what they recommend. Also,
> try on the various window managers (desktop environments) to see what
> you like. Then seek a book on your GUI of choice.

People have written Python bindings for many of the major GUI toolkits on
Linux.  I've heard that PyGTK and PyQT are popular,

    PyGTK: http://www.daa.com.au/~james/pygtk/
    PyQT: http://www.riverbankcomputing.co.uk/pyqt/index.php

as well as wxPython:

    wxPython: http://www.wxpython.org/

What's really neat is that people have trying to write a unification
module, so that it shouldn't matter what GUI one is running on.  A few
people have been involved in writing an abstract layer on top of any GUI.
Not surprisingly, it's called AnyGUI:

    http://anygui.sourceforge.net

I think a few of the contributors of AnyGUI are known to pop up on Tutor
every so often.

Good luck to you!