[Tutor] Continuously Updating A Display?

James.Rocks@equant.com James.Rocks@equant.com
Fri, 11 Oct 2002 13:29:15 +0100

Hi Alan,

Sorry about replying to you and not the list last time :-(

> > So, as per your web page, I type in: top = Tk() and the first thing I
> > notice is that it doesn't do this at all:
> >
> > "This creates the top level widget in our widget heirarchy. All other
> > widgets will be created as children of this. Notice that a
> > new blank window has appeared
> Are you doing it at the DOS prompt. And have you checked the
> task bar - it has a habit of appearing behind the current window!

No ... I've checked visually and in Task Manager ... nothing appears.

> Tkinter and IDLE don't mix well coz IDLE is itself written
> in Tkinter.... it gets confused over which mainloop is
> running etc.

However this got me thinking ... I'm using Marc Hammond's windows
extensions and his Pythonwin editor, so I checked, realised that IDLE was
the more normal editor and tried there and ... it works! Must be something
different about Pythonwin.

> > I imagine this is a Windows/Tkinter issue and maybe I have to use the
> > win32api API instead
> No not at all, my tutor was written for PC users (de facto
> the majority) and should work as is. (I am actually running
> Win 98SE at work and Windows XP Home at home - I also have
> a Linux box and an Apple iBook laptop at home which I use
> to test for compatibility across platforms...)

OK ... seems it's a Pythonwin issue.

> Also do you get any error messages? Or just no window?

It was no Window ... I guess I should mail Marc Hammond and let him know as
I gather this is a fairly common thing to try?

James

James C. Rocks
Equant
Archway House