[Tutor] re module and looping

McCarney, James Alexander James.Alexander.McCarney@Cognicase.com
Fri, 11 Oct 2002 15:30:47 -0400

Magnus wrote:

"Read the library manual. First of all, read about the
difference between match and search. Then forget that ;)
and use findall instead."

Absolutely brilliant! ;-) Thanks Magnus...

One glitch, however, is this. The code caught everything, except for these
two tags:
<!--
and
-->

Which is where a script goes in the HTML...

I would have thought

    p=re.compile(r"(<.*?>)",re.DOTALL)
    m=re.findall(r"(<.*?>)",alllines)

would have returned everything, including <!-- and -->

I am reading the re How-to by Andrew Kuchling. Btw, I will read re, reread
re, and re-reread re, because text-processing is a big part of what I need
to do.

Cheers! Who knows, maybe a nice script for the useless Python site.