[Tutor] Did you learn to program with Python???

Magnus Lycka magnus@thinkware.se
Sat Oct 26 10:34:01 2002

At 08:54 2002-10-26 -0400, Arthur wrote:
>I think we can make a mistake by emphasizing how "easy" Python is.  It is a
>full-featured, multi-paradigm programming language.  I would call it
>"friendly", without hesitation.  But I think folks coming to it with the
>idea that it is "easy" will go away frustrated.

Right. I guess Python is easy, but understanding the
concepts of programming isn't so easy. In other words,
python is easy to learn for people who already know how
to program, and perhaps easier than other options for
those who don't...

I'm very enthusiastic about Python, but I do get a bit
hesitant when I hear people claim things like ten-fold
productivity improvements. I think it's generally better
to understate slightly than to overstate things grossly.

   [Python is] "the most efficient language I've ever used.
   It's 10 times better than any of the other tools I have
   used. It's free, it's object-oriented, it adapts to
   everything, it runs on everything. There is almost an
   indescribable, 'quality without a name' attraction on my
   part".
      --Bruce Eckel in Dr Dobbs Journal.

For instance, my current customer had read this (I think),
and while he is fairly happy with our development, I think
he has slightly high expectations on Python, trying to do
advanced development himself, without having any significant
programming experience.

--=20
Magnus Lyck=E5, Thinkware AB
=C4lvans v=E4g 99, SE-907 50 UME=C5