[Tutor] OT: Notion of persistence in Python

alan.gauld@bt.com alan.gauld@bt.com
Tue Oct 29 18:13:48 2002

BTW Sorry for the lag between posting and replying - I'm on a trainng
course being "assimilated" by the Siebel corporation machine... :-)
I only get email during a one off per day synching phone call!

> Taking objects and saving data in them. Is this more
> advisable than reading from and writing to an RDBMS?

Depends on what you want. Pickling an oject will not preserve
the relationships between them in the way that an RDBMS can. Neither
will it easily allow selective restoration of required objects. If
you have millions of possible object instances of which only a few
need to exist at vany instant then a database is the way to
go, if you only have a few that all need to live in memory
simultaneously then pickle will likely be better.

Alan G.