[Tutor] What uni course to do?

BELSEY, Dylan dylan.belsey@baesystems.com
Tue Oct 29 19:57:00 2002

    I'll be the first to admit that it can be very tedious but fortunately,
some of the context in society and theory crap helps to give me a more
rounded and objective view on what it is we are actually doing and realise
the broader picture.

    [Stepping off the soap box....] I'm not sure if we can give you
specifics as to the courses you could do, with the subscribers being from
all around the globe (cool isn't it!), however, in my experience I have
found that a few of the "applied" subjects/modules tend to bring together
programming, maths and physics.  Most applied mathematics and physics
modules ultimately end up using some kind of programming to carry out
mathematical computations or repetitive tasks to achieve an end result or
demonstrate a theory (often within certain bounds).  Some of these topics
included Signal Theory, Financial Mathematics and Quantum Mechanics (I'm
sure you are aware of these types of modules, realising that you are at the
stage of considering taking theoretical physics).

    I have an electrical eng background and I found that many of the
elective courses, offered the blend you may be looking for.  Such topics as
data, voice and video codecs/filtering/compression (from memory) could be
included in this area.  The trick, as I'm sure you know, is that you have to
do all the boring foundation subjects to get to the interesting ones.

    Anyway, I don't know if I've been of much help, but to sum up, have a
look at the syllabuses of the "applied" subjects that are available to you.
Electrical Eng offers the chance to apply computing/mathematics/physics etc
in the real world (I do have an obvious bias here).  Even Computer Eng or
Computer Science courses may offer what you are looking for (inc. the chance
to develop your own projects around mathematical or physics
principles/theory).

    Good luck,
        Dylan