[Tutor] IDLE in Linux

Rob McGee i812@softhome.net
Tue Oct 29 20:38:01 2002

On Tue, Oct 29, 2002 at 07:11:45PM -0500, Gus Tabares wrote:
>    I was trying to find a doc on installing IDLE under Linux.
> Python.org only seems to mention that it is in the /Tools/idle of the
> sourceball. I assumed to run setup.py within that directory but nothing
> seems to happen when I execute it (blinking cursor on newline). Are
> there any docs out there I could be looking at? Thanks..

You don't "install" it. Just go to the idle directory and run
  ./idle.py &
There's a README.txt in the idle directory which tells you this. The "&"
is in case you don't want to lose the use of your xterm, it's optional
(it tells bash to run the command as a background job.)

For convenience you might want to configure a shortcut of some sort in
whatever window manager / desktop environment you use. The command is
simply "/full-path-to/idle.py" ("full-path-to" varies depending on where
you have your Python.)

    Rob - /dev/rob0