[Tutor] Help concerning raw_input urgently needed!

Guillermo Fernandez guillermo.fernandez@epfl.ch
Mon, 02 Sep 2002 09:36:21 +0930

> Some month ago I copied sitecustomize.py with
> appropriate locale-setting to C:\Python22\Lib
> thanks to an advice of someone on this list.
> =

> This worked well until today I made the observation,
> that raw_input doesn't work correctly:
> =

>  >>> a =3D raw_input("H=E4? ")
> H=E4? Tsch=FCs
> Traceback (most recent call last):
>   File "<pyshell#2>", line 1, in ?
>     a =3D raw_input("H=E4? ")
> TypeError: object.readline() returned non-string
>  >>>

> By the way: does this Error also occur when working with IDLE on
> a Linux-machine? (Aren't there people with happy little Linux-Systems
> in Berlin, who could check this easily?)

I'm in Australia, not in Berlin, but hope this helps :-)

I'm using linux SuSE 7.3 with Python 2.2 and this is the result:

>>> a =3D raw_input("H=E4? ")
UnicodeError: ASCII encoding error: ordinal not in range(128)
>>> =

Regards,

Guille