[Tutor] A Book for People Like Me

Leighton Pritchard lep@aber.ac.uk
Wed, 04 Sep 2002 09:14:31 +0100

Erik wrote:

>The best book I have seen for complete beginners on OOP is unquestionably
>"Beginning Java Objects" by Jackie Barker (published by Wrox).  I always
>recommend it to anyone who wants to learn about object oriented
>programming fundamentals.

Absolutely. I was going to recommend this straight off, but Erik got there
first... This book was suggested to me (as a beginner in OOP) by a
colleague, and I found it fantastically easy to follow and understand, and
it took me to a level where more jargon-filled OOP texts made sense. I have
since recommended it to others, who've had similar good experiences with it.

One major advantage of this book is that it doesn't just teach OOP, but
gives an involved and understandable overview of the whole OOP design
process, working from requirements. Although based around a specific
example, the generalities are well-flagged. Those chapters continue to help
me a great deal :)

It's a great book.

--
Dr Leighton Pritchard AMRSC