[Tutor] function vs module

Chris Kassopulo ckasso@sprynet.com
Fri, 6 Sep 2002 15:18:21 -0400

On Fri, 06 Sep 2002 12:35:55 +0200
Magnus Lycka <magnus@thinkware.se> wrote:

> There are several options here.
>
> You can set a variable in the global scope of your module
> from an importing module.
>
> import ListColumns
> ListColumns.ReturnFlag = 1
> ListColumns.ListColumns(...)

Thanks for your reply.  I used this option and it works
beautifully.  It sheds much light on referring to modules
for me.

> You can obviously send "ReturnFlag" as a parameter to
> your function call.

I had a working version using this method at some point,
but had changed it because the global way seemed more
appropriate.

> You can use a class with a method instead of a module
> with a function. Then you just set an approriate value
> to ReturnFlag at initialization, or at any other point
> before calling the method. But if you only need one
> instance of this class, the first approach with the
> module global variable is enough.

This one is above my head for the moment.

Thanks again
Chris Kassopulo