[Tutor] Tkinter + OSX

Danny Yoo dyoo@hkn.eecs.berkeley.edu
Thu, 19 Sep 2002 00:48:52 -0700 (PDT)

On Wed, 18 Sep 2002, darksyyyde wrote:

> > using fink. All your apps are installed under /sw/bin. I wish the fink
> > developers would come up with a way to add this to your PATH
> > automatically. But alas ...
> >

> The thing is, the fink/gzip wouldnt work.
> so i pulled the tar.gz via gui out of fink and into my /usr/local/bin.
> Then just unzipped it with stufit expander.

Ah!  I think this may be a problem: stuffit expander, according to the
Fink folks, is not a good thing to use because it doesn't understand long
file names:

"""It is important that you don't use StuffIt Expander to extract the tar
archive. For some reason StuffIt still can't handle long file names. If
StuffIt Expander already extracted the archive, throw away the folder it
created..."""

    http://fink.sourceforge.net/doc/users-guide/install.php

And discussion on pythonmac-sig appears to echo the warning:

    http://mail.python.org/pipermail/pythonmac-sig/2002-January/004911.html
    http://redivi.com/~bob/

Someone feels very strongly about this, as the second link uses a honking
huge H1 header with a stuffit warning.  *grin*

> Then opened terminal and set up the directory. Then ./configure.
> Then %sudo make install.
> Ill see what the mac pythoneers have to say about it.
> I appreciate the responses here though.

When you do get it working, can you send all of us a followup so that we
can better help the next person with OS X / Tkinter problems?

I wish you the best of luck on this; installation problems always stink.