[Tutor] basic python question

Alan Trautman ATrautman@perryjudds.com
Mon, 23 Sep 2002 11:16:43 -0500

Ron,

I apologize unfortunately I am forced to use VB all day and a M$ ism crept
into my answer. It should read

x=3

if x%2 == 0:
    print x,"is even"
else:
    print x,"is odd"

The == means is this equal to as opposed to = which means assigned to. Sorry
about the problem.

Alan

-----Original Message-----
From: Ron Nixon [mailto:nixonron@yahoo.com]
Sent: Monday, September 23, 2002 8:21 AM
To: Alan Trautman
Subject: RE: [Tutor] basic python question

Still can't get it to work. I keep getting an error message

Ron
 Alan Trautman wrote:
Ron,

Python is totally dependant on indentation for program flow.

To make your program work type

if x%2 = 0:
    print x,"is even"
else:
    print x,"is odd"

The indentations tell Python that these are the steps to perform when the
condition is true (ie.. even) or what to do in all other cases (odd).