[Tutor] Newbie!!!!!!

Danny Yoo dyoo@hkn.eecs.berkeley.edu
Tue, 24 Sep 2002 00:26:56 -0700 (PDT)

On Tue, 24 Sep 2002, Phil Watson wrote:

> Well my question is this: I have started writing some small programs in
> Python, with the help of a few tutorials.  Now, in order to get them to
> run I must first save them as .py files???  I have been doing this but I
> don't know how to run the programs to see if they are working out or
> not.
>
> So I have come to a standstill, as there is no point inputting programs
> if I cannot test them.
>
> Can anyone help me?

Hi Phil,

I wrote a small tutorial on getting started with Python a few months ago;
I don't know if it would help, but it couldn't hurt taking a peek...
*grin*

Here's the link:

    http://hkn.eecs.berkeley.edu/~dyoo/python/idle_intro/

You don't have to save things if you're just experimenting with Python,
but then, that will only allow you to try out programs that you can type
out in a day.  So learning how to save a Python program as a '.py' is
important because it'll let you work on more interesting programs.  The
tutorial on the link above shows how to save and load Python programs.

Good luck!