[Tutor] Executing more than one program at a time

Charlie Clark charlie@begeistert.org
Wed Apr 9 12:07:01 2003

> How does one execute more than one program at a
> time in Python?

> command {exec "\\program files\\accessories\\wordpad.exe"  /p  "\\my
> documents\\misc_obs\\$file_name"  &}
>
> The last character "&" is used to do this in Tcl/Tk, which I believe runs
> the program in the background, or at least tells the computer to run more
> than one thing at a time. I am using Windows XP.
>
> How do you do this in Python?

In Python itself? You might look at threads but I think want you want to do
is start an external process. "exec" is possible check the os-module but
you might want to look at popen as well. I'm afraid I can't help you much
with how they work but if you've got Tcl experience you should be okay.

Charlie