[Tutor] Python and Apache (OT)

Timothy M. Brauch tbrauch@mindless.com
Fri Apr 25 15:56:02 2003

Python seems to be getting a bad rap in a web-based addition to the book
"Apache: The Definitive Guide, 3rd ed.", Peter Laurie.
<http://www.onlamp.com/pub/a/apache/2003/04/10/apacheandpython.html>

He was unfamiliar with Python,  but "in an hour or so" he was able to create
a cgi script.  That makes Python seem rather easy to learn, right?  He also
complained about the indenting.  And, he says it "lack[s] some of the bells
and whistles other languages offer."  [side note: I have no idea how to
write a script in Java or Perl that will ftp into a site, get a specific
file, strip all the excess that doesn't interest me, reformat what is left
over in the style I need, log into another ftp server and publish the
information as an html document.  I did this in about 5 minutes with Python
the other day].

Anyway, read for yourself and leave a comment or two if you wish.

 - Tim