[Tutor] Python and Apache (OT)

Isaac Hall hall@ouhep1.nhn.ou.edu
Fri Apr 25 17:14:01 2003

>From reading this, it looks like the guy really didnt want to write this
piece to begin with.  he states something to the effect that he thinks
python is not very widely used for cgi scripting, however it is my
understanding that python works very well for cgi scripting, and is
widely used for that purpose.  his rail on indentation seems a bit
asinine, but thats just my opinion.  I happen to love pythons indentation,
and have carried over the use of indentation into my C++ coding, despite not
needing it (its much easier to look for an indented block than some damn
squiggly brace.)  Maybe the concept of indentation over braces ires
oldtimers, as it goes a long way into forcing one to write organized code,
which is easily read by anyone. (I recently had the very un-fun experience
of having to modify someone elses very un-organized C++ code, and it
almost drove me mad trying to figure out what the heck the code was
doing!  Organized C++ is hard enough to understand if you didnt write
it...)

Anyway, overall I think this guy was writing a piece he really didnt want
to have to write in the first place.  He obviously didnt put much time
into exploring python.  Its really a shame that people might read this
with no prior knowledge of python and form an opinon based on this piece.

Ike