[Tutor] Comparing lines in two files, writing result into a t hird file

stuart_clemons@us.ibm.com stuart_clemons@us.ibm.com
Sat Apr 26 10:11:02 2003

Hi Scott:

I just wanted to say thanks again.   I was able to spend time breaking down
the code you provided. (Start with a few lines of code snippet,  add print
out variables, run code, see exactly what was going on, add more code
snippet, print out variables, etc.).

Wow.  Clear, concise and dead-on !  (I'm not worthy !!!).  Extremely
eloquent in its simplicity. This really clears up the problem I had in the
past when I tried to read a file into a dictionary.  This structure worked
perfectly for my immediate problem and I can see that it will work
perfectly for variations of the this merge report that I want to provide.

This weekend I hope to look at Danny and Pan's approaches as a learning
exercise.  Danny got me thinking about code efficiency.  I hope to look at
some Python code I wrote about a year ago (that's remarkably still being
used) when I last worked with Python.  I'm still a newbie, but I was a
really a newbie then.  I know that that code could be done much more
efficiently.

Anyway, enough rambling.  I really feel like I learned a lot just by asking
one question.  Getting this information (and seeing some success in using
it) has really got me psyched about Python.  Thanks again. This is a great
forum.

- Stuart

----- Forwarded by Stuart Clemons/Westford/IBM on 04/26/03 09:37 AM -----

                      Stuart Clemons