[Tutor] about counting files

Danny Yoo dyoo@hkn.eecs.berkeley.edu
Tue Apr 29 15:25:02 2003

On Mon, 28 Apr 2003, Abdirizak abdi wrote:

> Hi, can ayone help me with this program, I am reading multiple files and
> I want to count each of these files, I tried different things but I
> couldn't get it right.

Hi Abdirizak,

Can you tell us in more detail what you expect, and what things look ok?
Have you been able to get the counting working with a single file first?

The main loop that you've written,

###
if __name__ == '__main__':
    import sys
    for arg in sys.argv[1:]:
        genIndex(arg,'txt')
###

looks somewhat ok, but the code doesn't tell us what it will do with all
these file arguments.

The file opening code in genIndex() looks a little odd:

###
def genIndex(indexFileName, extension):
    fname='*.'+extension
    for line in fileinput.input(glob.glob(fname)):
        ## [cut]
###

Where does indexFileName get used?  I see that it's used to control the
name of the shelf we open,

>    shelf = shelve.open(indexFileName,'n')

But if we give the program a set of parameters, like 'a b c', I think the
code will trying to write three duplicate index files of all the text
files in the current directory.  Is this what you want?

Talk to you later!