[Tutor] Python Compiler [cross compiling from Linux?]

Tim Johnson tim@johnsons-web.com
Fri Aug 1 15:41:20 2003

* Danny Yoo <dyoo@hkn.eecs.berkeley.edu> [030801 11:32]:

> On Fri, 1 Aug 2003, Michie DeBerry wrote:
>
> > I was wondering if there is a program, for linux, that will look at a
> > python script, and then generate a standard .exe file for windows. I
> > have looked at py2exe, but it is for windows.
>
> Hi Michie,
>

> Yikes!
>
> Doing a "cross-compiling" of a Windows .EXE on a Linux system is an
> advanced topic.  I'm not sure if anyone here can help you with it. You may
> want to ask on the comp.lang.python newsgroup and see if anyone else has
> tried to do it.
>

> There are a few pages out there that explain how to do a cross-compiling.
> For example:
>
>     http://rooster.stanford.edu/~ben/linux/cross.php
>
> explains that the 'mingw32msvc' tools at:
>
>     http://www.mingw.org/
>
> may be able to help.  Perhaps there's a way of massaging something like
> McMillan's Installer package:
>
>     http://www.mcmillan-inc.com/install1.html
>
> to use the mingw tools when it generates an executable.  There was a brief
> discussion of using Installer on the Adonthell mailing lists:
>
>     http://mail.gnu.org/archive/html/adonthell-devel/2003-01/msg00076.html
>
> so that might be a viable way of doing this.
>

> If you can't tell: I'm being very hesitant and handwavy about this because
> I've never tried this before... *grin* Again, you may want to ask your
> question on comp.lang.python; there should be people there who have more
> cross-compiling experience there.

  :-) You even scared Danny! If you were to use Win4Lin, then
      you would have Linux and Windows operating systems sharing
      the same file system at the same time. You would then be
      able to edit and test in Linux, using Linux tools, and then
      (on the same workstation), compile and deploy for windows.

      Is that something that might of interest to you?
--
Tim Johnson <tim@johnsons-web.com>
      http://www.johnsons-web.com