[Tutor] wiki madness- it's contagious, want to get infected?

Kirk Bailey idiot1@netzero.net
Sat Aug 2 20:24:01 EDT 2003

ok, this means it's time for me to learn some re lore, I expect.

I am trying to write a wiki. I have a lot of basic functionality going,
and the overall skeleton is there, and working. HALF of the page editor
is even complete!

What is holding me  back is parsing the wikicode into html. SOME of this
code uses unique flags, so can be swapped with a strong.replace
statement for that-   in effect, a rule.

But some of this demands that a tag be replaced 2 different ways,
turning on or off a function. For instance, "'''" (3 'singlequotes') not
only turns ON bold print, it turns it off again- it is a state toggle.

Therefore, the guts of a page must be read through sequentially,
previous state alters response to a detected tag.

This does not seem to lend itself to the use of any number of
string.replace(page, searchtarget, replacementstring)
statements.

WORSE, established wikicode uses PART of one tag as another tag, so we
have to do searches in a sequence, preserving state and intermediate
results. For instance, "'''" toggles bold. But "''" toggles italics!
Were you to go in and search for italica first, you would rip apart a
lot of bold tags, and leave some leftover 'singlequotes', messing things
up no small amount. Another: "----" is a size 2 HR. ----- is a size 3
hr. Some fun, huh?

Anyone out there want to play? I have built a list for discussing this.
	http://www.tinylist.org/cgi-bin/TLwebform2.py?wiki-project
leads directly to the membership management form.

Also, note that there is an older wiki (piki) on the site.
	http://www.tinylist.org/cgi-bin/piki.py
An area there directly acessable from the front page leads to the
project page(s). Anyone, feel free to dive in.

When up to snuff sufficently, this program will be released under the
GNU GPL, $free$. This is not a for profit project, it is a for people
project.

end

Cheers!
         Kirk D Bailey

  +                              think                                +
   http://www.howlermonkey.net  +-----+        http://www.tinylist.org
   http://www.listville.net     | BOX |  http://www.sacredelectron.org
   Thou art free"-ERIS          +-----+     'Got a light?'-Promethieus
  +                              think                                +

Fnord.