[Tutor] Regular Expression guru saught

Kirk Bailey idiot1@netzero.net
Mon Aug 4 22:27:01 EDT 2003

Well, as an example, here's the code of the moment:
	http;//www.tinylist.org/wikinehesa.txt
and here is the mostly working reader tself:
	http://www.tinylist.org/cgi-bin/wikinehesa.py
Works, reads, even  manages a somewhat crufty parsing into paragraphs,

Sean 'Shaleh' Perry wrote:

> On Monday 04 August 2003 11:01, Jeff Shannon wrote:
>
>>Kirk Bailey wrote:
>>
>>>This thing is just flat going to need a lot of re stuff, and I need
>>>therefore to ome up to speed on re.
>>
>>I'm not so sure that re's are quite what you want -- or at least, I'm
>>not sure if re's are enough.
>>
>>The problem with re's is that they're not very good at handling nested
>>data structures.  It's often mentioned that re's are not appropriate for
>>parsing HTML or XML because of this limitation, and I suspect that the
>>same will apply to parsing your simple wiki code as well.  You could
>>perhaps write re's that will handle the majority of likely cases, but
>>(if I'm right) it's almost assured that eventually, someone will write a
>>wiki page that can't be properly parsed with a re-based approach.
>>

> Indeed.  The book "Text Processing in Python" may be of value here.  Covers
> simple string methods, re's and real parsers.  For me it turned out to cover
> mostly stuff I already knew but for someone just getting into text processing
> it is likely to be pretty valuable.
>
> Beyond that, Kirk as always an example is worth a thousand threads (-:

end

Cheers!
         Kirk D Bailey

  +                              think                                +
   http://www.howlermonkey.net  +-----+        http://www.tinylist.org
   http://www.listville.net     | BOX |  http://www.sacredelectron.org
   Thou art free"-ERIS          +-----+     'Got a light?'-Promethieus
  +                              think                                +

Fnord.