[Tutor] python22

Alan Gauld alan.gauld at blueyonder.co.uk
Wed Aug 6 23:35:32 EDT 2003

> I don't know what the PYTHON(command line) window that is available
in
> PYTHON22 drag down menu used for. when I open this command line it
starts
> with >>> and I can not run saved programs with it.how this command
line
> used?

In the same way you use the >>> prompt within the IDLE Shell window.
You can type Python commands in to experiment with ideas before
committing them to a script.

So you can do things like:

>>> 45+67*23/4.8

and get an answer

or
>>> import time
>>> time.sleep(5)

and so on.

In the early days of python IDLE did not exist. The command
window version was the only one you could use for this sort of work.
In fact I still use it more often than I do IDLE.

Alan G