[Tutor] wiki madness grows one you like a brain fungus [regex refinements, re.sub() can take in a subst. function]

Clay Shirky clay at shirky.com
Mon Aug 11 11:36:33 EDT 2003

> Maybe Kirk should consider to buy David Mertz new "Textprocessing an
> Python".

+1 this (instead of Mastering Regular Expressions.)

The problem with Friedl's book, and the culture of regexes in general, is
that it leads to applying regexes to problems better worked out with any
thing from splits() to formal parsers.

As jwz put it "A lot of people, when they have a problem, think 'I know,
I'll use regular expressions!' Now they have two problems."

-clay