[Tutor] More py please?

Danny Yoo dyoo at hkn.eecs.berkeley.edu
Sat Aug 23 00:18:05 EDT 2003

On Thu, 21 Aug 2003, SGD wrote:

> I would like to install multipe instances of python, specificly 2.2.3
> and 2.3.
>
> Is this possible? And if so, what are the laws that govern the process?
> I tried the manuals, but I must have missed it...

Hi SGD,

Yes, it's very possible.  I'm not too familiar with how things work on the
Windows side, so you may need to get a response from someone else about
it.

On Unix systems, at least, Python 2.2 installs itself with two names by
default:

    /usr/local/bin/python

and

    /usr/local/bin/python2.2

Python 2.3 will co-opt '/usr/local/bin/python' when it's installed, but
will leave '/usr/local/bin/python2.2' alone.  (Python 2.3 will also make
itself '/usr/local/bin/python2.3').

The libraries directories are totally separate too, so if you've installed
any third-party modules for Python 2.2, you'll need to do the same for
Python 2.3.  Slightly inconvenient, but it guarantees that 2.3 doesn't do
any munging of 2.2-based libraries.

Hope this helps!